Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Wax moth eggs and feed

Hello folk

I've been trying to farm wax moth larvae (Achroia grisella), but I seem to run into two problems:

The feed dries up not completely hard, but I guess it should be a little more moist. The food composition I use is 5 pounds of bran, 0.1 gallon of honey and 1 gallon of cornsirup.

The other problem is that the eggs doesn't seem to hatch. I put the eggs into the feed (tried with and without glycerine).

The temperature of the wax moth enclosure is about 30 degrees celsius. I'm not sure about the humidity.

//Sylvester

Comments

• Hi Sylvester, - They should raised in the dark & ~70% relative humidity (possibly factor your feed hardens). There are examples of 3 artificial diets on page 7 of (2013) Ellis, et.al. "Standard methods for wax moth research", published by Journal of Apicultural Research 52(1) available on-line as free full pdf. Authors chart out key differences between varieties & lifecycle time lines.

• Thank you very much for the quick answer :) - Ill be looking into it and implementing it in my production

• In BSF rearing, we tend not to place eggs in direct contact with the food, but rather on a small plastic sheet (2x2 cm or so) to Ensure that eggs are in a humid environment, though not in contact with the substrate. This might help you out.

Thanks for that paper Gringojay, finally something recent :)