Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Myrmica rubra - European Fire Ant

Anyone out there have experience harvesting and/or eating European fire ants? They have invaded my yard and I figure if you can't beat them, eat them. I am not sure how to go about collecting them or safely preparing them to eat.

Comments

• In north east India the Assam district of Karbi Anglong tribes do eat Myrmica rubra collected from in the wild. However only the larvae & eggs are consumed in cooked & baked recipes. Lore is that eating them is good for making more children. These are seasonally abundant in the months of March & April.

For the Ahom people's April festival, locally called Bohagi Bihu, eating Myrmica rubra larvae/eggs is the traditional way to start the 3rd day of celebrations. I presume the Bohagi Bihu gathering revolves around encamped hill folk matchmaking for their daughters who came of age over the winter's isolation & trading of handiwork plus livestock; I've seen a similar spring festival that went on for many days in Himalayan tribal India with a different local dialect name 30+ years ago.

• Ant & nematode parasite fascinating relationship clearly detailed by M.Harr at blog "small things considered" might interest some here. Link (if not working please reply)= asmblog.org/schaechter/2016/07/bottoms-up-nefarious-nematodes-and-red-rumps.html