Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Favourite bug recipe so far

edited December 2013 in Entomophagy Discussion
At Tiny Farms, we've been cooking up bugs for the past couple of years. My favourite experiment so far has to be either:

- Our silkworm burgers; they were meaty and delicious
- Our "bugklava", a delicious waxworm baklava that we managed to feed to Dave McClure

I'm sure some of you have tried some tasty things. What have been your favourites?

Comments

• - grasshoppers sauteed with garlic, butter, soy sauce and (raw, unaslted) pistachios. Without the pistachios, kind of bleh. With the pistachios, amazing.

- crickets, deep fried, with deep-fried blueberries. Deep fry the blueberries first. They will burst and zip around in the oil. Wait till they're done zipping. They will have an intense blueberry flavor and be crispy. Then fry the crickets (done when the legs crunch instead of sticking in your teeth.) Mix & eat.
  • Hi Jen,

Thanks for sharing! Sounds delicious!
  • I haven't begun cooking bugs, myself, but this recipe for mealworm quiche looks simple & tasty.

youtube.com/watch?v=S53Ivd5Gz-Q
  • Looks pretty good, although perhaps not for those who would rather not see what they're eating!

The first few moments mentions M&Ms being produced using mealworms?! Has anyone else heard of this? I couldn't find anything online, except mention of "M&Ms" being "Mealworms & Marshmallows", a combination used for fish bait...
  • Hi Dansitu,

Would you be able to share your recipe for the "bugklava", your delicious waxworm baklava? I would like to exchange the waxworm for mealworm and give this a try if possible.

Thanks
    Yichong
  • I think we found our baklava recipe on the internet, then just substituted some of the nuts for waxworms fried in butter. @Andrew, @Jena, do either of you remember which recipe we used?
  • @yìchóng I think this was the base recipe we used, +500 waxworms lightly fried in butter substituted for about half the nuts in the recipe
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/12/baklava/
  • I just got my bugs that I ordered form Thailand... they were super crunchy and dry... do you know how I can get this without a recipe for adding bugs, just how to do them as great snack? (I joked to my friends that you don't need a tooth pick, just use a cricket leg.) but the thing is that when they are crunchy like this it seems the trick is that the legs should crack up - if they aren't brittle it hasn't been cooked long enough.
  • If you fry mealworms pretty hot and add some seasoning - I like salt and chili flakes - they can get pretty crunchy. I think there's a sweet spot - if you heat them for too long they get a bit too dry and ashy tasting.
  • Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to give that a try (i.e. try not to burn my house down, haha)
  • Awesome, let us know how it goes (and tastes!)
  • I'm going to try Alfredo Lasagna once I get my next supply of bugs from World Ento. Just replacing chicken with crickets.
  • Linguini with Cricket Sauce… A twist on clam sauce. Substitute crickets for clams in your favorite clam sauce recipe. Crickets won’t release any moisture when cooking as fresh clams do so adjust the liquid content accordingly. Coarsely chop the cooked crickets so their flavor gets evenly distributed in the final dish.
  • @Mark sounds delicious - "linguini ai grilli"

We just had enjoyed some extremely delicious dishes at the Future Food Salon a couple nights ago, certainly was inspiring to me!

- Roasted mealworm sushi with jalapeno, avocado and masago (smelt roe)
    - Cricket polenta with fresh greens and shaved pickled root veggies topped with roast crickets
    - Crickets sauteed with garlic and butter in greens (maybe dandelion greens? wasn't sure)
    - Cricket burgers
    - a sneak peak of cricket chips and cookies from Six Foods (sixfoods.com) <-- really can't wait for them to go into full production!
    - Cricket protein bars from Chapul (<a href="http://chapul.com">chapul.com) <-- always delicious, definitely worth ordering some!
    - roasted cricket and mealworm chex-mix from David George Gordon "The Bug Chef"
  • I love the sound of crickets sautéed with greens! Nice and simple, too
  • The greens were great, and actually the cricket polenta was probably the most delicious!
  • I took the mixed bugs I ordered from Thailand into work and was surprised at the open minded few who ate and shared their stories of bug eating and I got to share my (limited) knowledge on how good an idea it is. There was one vegetarian who didn't want to eat any creature at all that lived which opened up the discussion on how vegetarians all have a scale of beliefs and personal standards... we are all different. Personally, I want to eat them because they save cows, sheep and chickens etc and can be frozen humanely. Mind you i am happy to feed them live to my chickens because they are attracted to the movement and I see that as natural behavior.
  • That's awesome. I think after you've tried insects once it becomes pretty obvious that they're just a food source like any other. The "ick factor" can be strong, but it doesn't stay around long once defeated.
  • Mealworm recipes for cookies, canapes, appetizers & "sui mai" are given at the end of (2009) "The Yellow Mealworm as a Novel Source of Protein"; in Am.J. Agri. & Biol. Sci.;4(4):pg 319-331. It's free full pdf is available online, although I've no handy link.... I am unsure of rules for reposting the authors recipes without seeking prior authorization, even though pdf is open access. Maybe forum administrator can get permission to print up those recipes for TinyFarms' open access....Cookies sound like way to tempt the public.

• Here's the link to that paper, with abstract and a download link for the full pdf thescipub.com/abstract/10.3844/ajabssp.2009.319.331

• Chocolate Covered Crickets Ingredients:

1 cup roasted crickets (see recipe for Dry Roasted Crickets) 1 cup chocolate chips Directions: Melt the chocolate chips according to packaging. Drop in a handful of crickets, stirring them around. Scoop them out with a spoon, and place them on wax paper, keeping them apart from one another. Continue until all the crickets are covered. The chocolate will harden overnight but if you prefer you can freeze them for about an hour and they will be ready to eat shortly thereafter. Once hardened, the crickets can be stored in a container for future use. Tips: For an extra treat and visual experience, place chocolate covered crickets atop broken bits of white chocolate chunks or dip chocolate covered crickets in powdered chocolate and serve chilled. :x

• This one looks like a pile of fun!

Caramel Cricket Crunch 

Ingredients:

½ cup butter
 ½ cup honey
 ¼ caramel Popcorn
 (one full bag, popped in microwave or store bought already popped) 1 cup roasted chopped crickets Directions: Heat (melt) butter in small pot with handle on low heat. Add honey and caramel and blend well for about a minute. Mix crickets with popcorn in separate large bowl and pour in the butter/hone/caramel mixture, stirring well. Spread out mixture on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Cut into small pieces and serve warm or cold.

• CUTE!!!

Chocolate Chirp Cookies

Makes a dozen or so cookies Ingredients:

2 ¼ cups cricket flour 1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. salt 1 cup butter, softened ¾ cup sugar ¾ cup brown sugar 1 tsp. vanilla 2 eggs 1 12-ounce pkg. chocolate chips ½ cup dry-roasted chopped crickets Directions: Preheat oven to 375 deg F. In saucepan heat 1 12-ounce pkg. chocolate chips until melted. Or melt in small bowl in microwave. Dip dry-roasted crickets into mixture and lay flat on drying pan or plate. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add cricket flour mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate covered crickets. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

• edited April 2014

Now this is just a bit too freaky for me... I dare you to open it... it's Halloween recipe.

http://edibug.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/scaramelapples.jpg

• Taken from "http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniella-martin/5-ways-to-cook-a-cricket_b_914543.html"

When preparing them, all crickets should probably be initially processed in the same way - frozen first. Adventurous as you may be, cooking with live crickets is quite a challenge! Once frozen, there are two schools of thought as to what to do next. I prefer to rinse my crickets in a mesh strainer before I cook them, but Julieta Ramos-Elorduy, author of Creepy Crawly Cuisine and one of the foremost entomophagy (read: bug-eating) experts in the world, insists that this alters their essential flavor. Having tried her delicious cricket-cooking, I must say, she may have a point.

Sauteed Scourge.... In my opinion, the best way to cook a cricket is to saute it with garlic, olive oil and salt. This brings out and complements their delicious, light, nutty shrimp flavor. Begin by sauteing crickets in olive oil just as you would any other type of meat. Once they start to become a little golden and crispy-looking, you can add in the garlic (crushed or chopped) and salt. This is a fantastic topping for salsa, guacamole or tacos - seriously, when I serve any of these at events, a line forms and it all gets gobbled up.

• Sauteed crickets really are delicious!

• edited May 2014

I agree, I'm about to double my cricket farm so I get more meals. :P

• I'll have to confess I've chickened out on eating bugs so far, but I'm working on it... :-) Here's a recipe for gourmet mealworm burgers from the BBC! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/gourmet_mealworm_burgers_68052

• 6 recipes from U.K.'s "eatgrub" crew :

(a) Coconut & cricket rice cakes w/ chilli & garlic sauce .... (b) Buffalo worm praline .... (c) Curried chang tempura grasshoppers w/ sweet chilli sauce .... (d) Mealworm satay sauce .... (e) Garlic buffalo worm salad .... (f) Fried crickets & pandanas leaf ....

Track down the individual recipe's details from their site page: http://www.eatgrub.co.uk/recipes/

• Honeycomb layers with caterpillar in the middle grilled in banana leaf over coals seems to be a Thai delicacy. Link below leads to a stock picture from Kakarinz Chaiyanupong's portfolio at "dreamstime" website. (Paste the whole link in a search engine, copying from word "Caterpillar" to the last #, to get to picture easiest; just using the http://etc. link for me takes more steps it seems.)

Caterpillar And Honeycomb Grilled On The Coaster Royalty Free Stock Image - Image: 23321626 http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-image-caterpillar-honeycomb-grilled-coaster-image23321626