Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Insects as food: Assessing the food conversion efficiency of the mealworm (Brian Spang)

Forum member @bspang kindly posted a link to his thesis, Insects as food: Assessing the food conversion efficiency of the mealworm, in the Insect FCR data? thread.

Brian, I hope you don't mind me reposting it here for everyone to see. There's a fantastic review of the current state of knowledge with regards to mealworm production (and insects-as-food in general), followed by the collection and analysis of feed conversion efficiency in a population of mealworms.

It's exciting to think we've only been around for a month, but we already have such great people in our community!
Tagged:

Comments

• Brilliant, thanks both, I love this forum, just need more constant feedback... then there will be more interest in addig to comment so it can grow. i notice only 3-5 people chatting.
    [-O<
  • Yeah, it's early days, but we seem to be growing steadily :) Keep posting, and spread the word!
  • dansitu - glad you found an outlet for the document. feel free to share it any time with those who may be interested. best, brian

• edited January 2015

Awesome add!

Btw @bspang, I just read your paper, it's great :) But what I found confusing is that table 5.1 states that % Dry weight ECI for cattle is 3,6% and 33,6% for mealworms. Then, on the next page you state that mealworms are 30% more efficient at converting food. Shouldn't that be ~10 times more efficient then cattle? Or do you mean +30% (which is probably what you meant)?

Another thing I didn't expect is that mealworms have higher ECI then crickets (but it could be that's because of higher momevent in crickets I guess).

Thanks for contributing and hope you'll keep on researching (and sharing) :)

• mealworms have a lower feed to weight conversion, meaning they take less input to make the same output, that's why there is a difference between them and crickets. Last time I checked, crickets were around ~3:1, and mealworms ~2:1.