Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Anyone in New Zealand

Hi,

I am trying to find like minded people who might be in New Zealand. I have always been keen to farm bugs for human consumption, it just makes sense. Anyone know of anyone in NZ trying to do this?

Comments

• I'm just starting - but in Aus (if that helps).
  • You guys are close to a lot of great Asian markets for edible insects :)
  • I'm thinking that once I get established there are Asian food outlets in most eastern countries who would love to introduce bugs as a novelty. Of course then there is a whole new learning curve about the human food market and the by-laws. Could be done though.
  • For sure - to be honest I think in the short/medium term, negotiating laws, etc. is going to be as big a part of making this stuff work as learning to farm bugs.
  • I'm just looking into setting up a farm I New Zealand. Looking into feasibility studies now.

• Hi Gus - If looking to market insects for human consumption there has been some discussion elsewhere in the Forum regarding European legal issues. As for NZ , it seems to be somewhat of a similar case that what you are actually marketing is a food (insects) traditionally eaten by other cultures & so just overlooked when NZ food laws were written.

See (2012) "Proposed Future Regulation of Nutritive Substances and Novel Foods in the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code"; Synopsis quote regarding Novel food as 2 cases (non-traditional & novel foods)

"...a food must be considered non-traditional before it can be considered novel ... ‘non-traditional food’ includes the term history of human consumption, which is not defined elsewhere in the Code ... it is difficult to be certain which foods should be considered non-traditional and subsequently whether they should be subject to the second arm of the definition of novel food.

" ...non-traditional food means – - - - - (a) a food that does not have a history of human consumption in Australia or New Zealand; or (b) a substance derived from a food, where that substance does not have a history of human consumption in Australia or New Zealand other than as a component of that food; or (c) any other substance, where that substance, or the source from which it is derived, does not have a history of human consumption as a food in Australia or New Zealand.

"...novel food means a non-traditional food and the food requires an assessment of the public health and safety considerations having regard to – - - - - - (a) the potential for adverse effects in humans; or (b) the composition or structure of the food; or (c) the process by which the food has been prepared; or (d) the source from which it is derived; or (e) patterns and levels of consumption of the food

"... For ‘traditional’ foodstuffs and ingredients, there is currently no pre-market assessment by FSANZ ...."

This contact might still be valid for more orientation: Project Officer, Novel and Nutritive Substances Food Standards Australia New Zealand, PO Box 10559, The Terrace, WELLINGTON 6036

• Hi there, just wondering how you got on with starting up an insect farm here in New Zealand? I have done some google searching and can't seem to find any one actually growing them here for sale - only companies selling products from insects grown overseas. My husband and I are currently growing mealworms for our own consumption, but we are planning to delve into a bigger farm in the next year. It would be great to find out how you are all going? I have started to look into MPI - and it appears that insects are not considered a novel food so I assume we just have to go through the same certification process as any other food producer? Thanks

• Yes I'm interested to know too. My husband and I are thinking about starting one up. . . going to try get used to eating them ourselves first. . . haven't tried any yet.