Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Any industrialized method to make the Zophobas Morio pupate?

I've been farming zophobas for few years, and I want to significantly increase my production, but so far i haven't found a good way to make them pupate. This manual process of separating them or putting a tower of egg-separators (carton box) for them to get isolated and pupate is not working well, I need a more industrialized way. Any idea?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi angelnaga - I do not raise your bug, so can not speak from experience. Here is my idea, for what it is worth.

As mentioned elsewhere in the Forum for pupation juvenile hormone must give way to ecdysone hormone. And farnesol in frass sustains juvenile hormone levels.

Farnesol challenges cells’ endoplasmic reticulum (causes ER stress) & it (farnesol), among other things, instigates a significant transcription factor (p65) to move into the cell nucleus. In the bug cell nucleus this transcription factor is acted upon (phosphoryl- ation) & the result induces expression of, among other things, genes promoting growth (in this context larval).

My surmise is the intermediary(s) with continued juvenile hormone production levels is (are) specific RNA (messenger/mRNA). And then there is subsequent repression of ecdysone hormone activation; which for pupation, in contrast, requires programmed cell death (apoptosis), recycling & metamorphosis into bug’s next phase of life.

I would try reducing the larval exposure to frass, because the optional chemical mimics of ecdysone hormone are essentially insecticides; while buying purified ecdysone itself is costly. In practice it might be easiest to redesign containers for stretching mesh under the larvae (so frass can be sifted out), rather than constantly trying to extract the frass reaching in from above.

• Hi gringojay,

It is not that the worm is not able to pupate. In the case of Zophoba Morio, the larva need to be isolated so it starts pupating. I guess in the wild they hide somewhere to pupate, and go away from predators and other larvae. So far, I used to separate each larvae (at its last stage) into individual cups, 7 days later (approximately)they become a pupe. But as you can imagine, doing this when trying to breed high quantities of worm is exhausting, so I guess that any company that breed Zophoba Morio by tons must have solved this issue.

• I think commercial operations treat them with ecdysone hormones, but am not certain.

My comment is to get them progressing through instars faster give them less frass exposure (clears away farsenol).