Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Chemical Attracting of Crickets for Pitfall Trap

I am looking for a way to make the automatic trapping of crickets into pitfall traps, to use in my cultures, more efficient and worthwhile. Is there a type of chemical that attracts orthoptera like octenol attracts mosquitos? All the relevant traps online refer to glue or toxic traps, but I am talking about luring the crickets into a hole in the ground not killing them. I tried an open box in my backyard with food and a light and the next morning there were just flies and ants, I guess I should’ve covered it but still no crickets came, so I don’t know if the food and light is enough.

Also, if there are chemicals that could attract other insects, like beetles, millipedes, springtails, isopods, or just all insects in general, I would like to know so I could make pitfall traps prioritizing specific insects or just generally make pitfall traps work better. I do already catch insects manually, but that does take time and energy and is hard to apply to the nighttime, within maybe ~40 mins I can hunt my backyard for crickets and get a few dozen. There is an octenol alternative on Amazon specific for use for bug zappers, but it does not show the active ingredient, so could that attract more than just flying insects.

Comments

• Hi Richard22, - Maybe consider upping tactics to acoustic trapping. I do not know where you can buy different bug pheromones.

University of Florida’s Walker (1988) has 2 trap designs in Fig. 1 & 2 of “Acoustic traps for Agriculturally Important Insects”; free full text on-line.

A (2015) publication “A modified mole cricket lure and description of ... range expansion and calling song in California”, by Dillman etc al. is on-line free. See Fig.2’s fixed location dual pool set-up & Fig.4’s pictures of 5 different kinds of portable designs for traps; be sure toclick on “supplementary material” for a lot more of specifics.

As for pit fall traps: the Brazilian team of Sperber, Soares & Pereira (2007) sort through nuances of trap placement & how the frequency of your own vibration generated checking traps is relevant. See free full text on-line of “Litter disturbance and trap spatial positioning affects the number of captured ndividuals and genera of crickets ....”’