Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

New to this, any suggestions for a cricket setup? also do any insects have DHA?

Not planning on anything huge, but I would like to provide myself with 100 grams of protein daily with a decent clean setup.

Any and all suggestions for doing so in as small a space as possible appreciated.

Also do any insects have DHA in decent amounts?

Comments

• edited January 18

Hi bfnth1, - I do not personally rear crickets; maybe someone else will answer you who does. My response is to encourage you to use the forum search function, since it will bring up several details for you & links to reports for easy systems.

If you look at bottom left of this page where it says "Version" by clicking on the "Web" option this same website will then show a "Search" box over on the right side of page. If you have problems getting orientation from searching let me know.

What kind of a climate area do you want to rear crickets in? If it is more like the tropics or is where a season of snow occurs your project can be adapted differently.

• Hi,

Also not breeding crickets myself (I have locusts), but ... 100g protein from crickets daily seems like quite a setup - it amounts to almost 2000 crickets every day if I'm calculating correctly (0.4g adult cricket weight, 50% protein on dry basis, 70% water in a cricket). Not sure what you mean by "small", but I would guess that is not going to be just a couple boxes..

Anyway, this might be a good start: https://entocube.com/en/farming/ (they're selling breeding boxes etc.)

• @bfntn1 In regards to DHA, this and other forms of omega-3 fatty acids can be found in crickets, and originate in their feed. Many commercial cricket farms use feed formulations that include fishmeal (not ideal for environmental and cost reasons, but effective) and have higher levels of omega-3s, whereas a vegetarian diet will have to provide the fats from a plant source such as flax. Note that flax contains ALA (alpha-linoleic acid) as opposed to DHA or EPA