Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Cricket Teleogryllus mitratus production

Teleogryllus mitratus ( sometimes called Gryllus mitratus) is a cricket worthwhile for commercial production that seems overlooked because of it's size. To see pictures of adults & some sound recordings search the name at http://orthoptera.speciesfile.org

As I pull together my notes will detail in further comments why this is an interesting cricket for commercialization. It's nickname is the "oriental garden cricket" & a founder population can be wild collected (so will get to trapping too).

For now here is a link to the adult T. mitratus protein amino acid breakdown if considering cricket meal as a feed supplement ingredient. Data is dependant on variability of tested individuals, so on average the adults are 54% protein (range tested of 46-62% protein). And will add here that for fat content the average is 25% lipids (range tested of 23 to 26% fat). All individual amino acid values in free full text on-line are given as ppm from report titled: "Protein isolation from cricket Gryullus mitratus."

Comments

• Teleogryllus mitratus can be oven dried, ground & added to broiler chicken feed for better saleable weight. While at 2% T. mitratus content the carcass weight increased from 1,456 +/- 146 grams to1517 +/- 73 grams there are different component changes at 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 & 2.0 % T. mitratus inclusion levels.

I'll only detail breast meat parameters from the Indonesian language research report "The effects feed additive of gryllus mitratus burm meal mixture on broiler carcass quality". Table 2 gives as top number the broiler carcass weight in grams & the lower listed entry categoru "daging dada" ( meaning "breast meat" in English ) gives a percentage ("%") value for breast meat at different percentages of T. mitratus broiler feed. For reading the other data consider "hati" = liver, "rempleh" = gizzard, "limfa" = spleen.

Here are the breast meat weights calculated from reconcilling Table 2 data; only the stated averages were used for brevity. At zero % ("0") T. mitratus the 1,456 gr. carcasss' 26.28% breast meat = 383 gr. breast meat/carcass; at 0.5% T. mitratus the 1,475 gr. carcass' 29.09% breast meat = 429 gr. breast meat/carcass, at 1.0% T. mitratus the 1,435 gr. carcass' 30.37% breast meat = 436 gr. breast meat/carcass, ; at 1.5% T.mitratus carcass'29.32% breast meat = 432gr. breast meat/carcass, & at 2.0% T. mitratus the 1,517 gr. carcass' 27.27% breast meat = 413 gr. breast meat/carcass.

The study's English abstract highlights 2% T. mitratus (dry weight) maximizes broiler carcass weight, the Indonesian text reveals the cricket's impact is not linear for carcass components. Previous paragraph illustrates that if the goal is to maximize breast meat then 1% T. mitratus (+ 99% broiler feed) is best.

• edited July 26

They look to be similar to velarfictorus micado, one very common in my area. Where would one find the oriental garden cricket? I would though just prefer to keep breeding my wild crickets from my area, since the non-wild ones die off within a week or so. Do you know any thing about typical black field crickets, Japanese burrowing crickets, or a striped ground cricket (allonemobius faciatus) and if they would be practical to breed? I also have found some small trigs I am considering breeding.