Aftificial diets for biological pest control species

I can here more interested in the bug as protein and nutrition aspect, which i have learned a lot here, thanks! But i also operate a couple small farms and try to remain organic. I have used biological pest control many times before with amazing success, but have always been stuck ordering it. Here in Taiwan its from the government, cannot buy it really from businesses. In canada could mail order but it ends up costing a lot. So we are looking to breeding our own and maybe sell them here in Taiwan and try to pry the farmers away from heavy pesticide use in the future.

I had mediocre success a couple years ago with lacewing, and reading journals it seems perhaps artificial diets are relatively easy for them. Lady beetles i am having trouble with however. collecting isnt the same here in Taiwan like in other places, and much harder, so rearing would be greatly beneficial and using/selling eggs or young larvae rather than adults.

I have read about wheast, but it seems far from ideal for this long terms.

As a side note i am starting to culture aphids on a small scale in order to just keep colonies alive while i experiment, but it is not ideal for us to raise this species.

I was wondering if i could use a puree of another insect, such as mealworm, cricket, cockroach etc, which we already breed, and add honey and maybe some other attractants to them?

So far my trial with pinhead crickets and mushed crickets, without additives, for larvae of lady beetle has failed miserably.

Would appreciate any input :)

Comments

• Hi formosa, - There is research on using mealworms as biological (entomo-pathogenic) control host. The following are available on-line as free full text. If have trouble accessing any let me know & I will relay better details.

(2011) Baliadi, et al. "Pathogenicity, development & reproduction of the entomopathogenic nematode Steinernma sp., in mealworm Tenebrio molitor" ....

(2012) C.van Zyl's Thesis, "The in vivo production of Heterorhabditis Zelandia and Heterorhabditis Bacteriophora"; at Stellenbosh University website http://scholar.sun.ac.za ....

(2014) van Zyl & Malan's, ''Optimization of inoculation techniques for in vivo mass culture of entomopathogenic nematodes through nematode and insect host manipulation: ....

(2015) van Zyl & Malan's , "Cost effective culturing of Galleria mellonella and Tenebrio molitor and entomopathogenic nematode production in various hosts" ....