Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Counting Crickets

I am preparing to start sourcing some local pet stores with our crickets and I am trying to figure out weights and volumes for them at each stage in their life, I found one thread in regards to pinheads but other than that was not able to find anything previously posted about this. I am breeding banded crickets (Gryllodes Sigillatus) and I have tried to do my own counts but they seem off to me for some reason.

My 1000 count of 4 week old banded crickets was about 500mL in volume and 175g in Weight, I am wondering if anyone has their own counts that they can give me for comparison, Thank you.

Comments

• edited May 2018

Well this is kinda hard count one by one. What you need is a precision scale so you can get a average count of crickets per gram. I have seen using that method of volume, but i dont like it since it may be harmful to pile all crickets on a test tube, if they alive.

I did my count and got this: All adult crickets (G.sigillatus) 104 Females = 27±0.5g 241 Males = 63±0.5g

Thats it an average of 0.2596 g per Female and 0.2614g per Male

However since my scale precision is 1g, i could weight a single cricket. Females tend to be larger than males, but there is come exceptions, got a bit of males that are huge (almost 4cm) and females that barely reach 2cm. Also as you can see,there is a lot more males than female, I didnt manipulate this. Not sure why males are a bit heavier than females, looks like because its fat percentage.