Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Calcium Carbonate Effects on Mealworms

what effect would calcium carbonate have on mealworms if it was put in with their substrate? would it kill them or would it be a benefit to the animal it was fed to? i ask this because i also raise composting worms and their food is ground up chicken pellets (non-medicated), calcium carbonate, oatmeal, dry milk & wheat flour...i was going to put some in with the mealies tonight but i can't find information other than it's used sometimes to dust them with before feeding

Tagged:

Comments

• ZWart & Rulkens (1979) "Improving the calcium content of mealworms" (1 page available on-line) found calcium in vitamin mixtures (11-10% Ca) were "... accepted by mealworms but ... calcium carbonate [(40% Ca)] was not palatable....."

• I did a trial run with about a dozen worms in the subject feed before bed last night and this morning, they are all nearly dead. I guess that was the easy way to test a theory, but I wondered if anyone else had tried something similar. Thank you for the article citing.