Cricket Farm Yields

Hi All,

I'm trying to business plan a 5,000 sqft commercial cricket farm (Acheta Domesticus) and am have some problems finding a reliable yield per square metre number. I've been through the forums here and researched online and am finding anything from 7K/psqm to 50K/psqm per harvest. My own calculations, based on a 3mx1mx1m cricket bin equate to 28k psqm. This is based on a housing sheet (cardboard, egg tray equivalent etc) distributed every 3cm through the length of the bin. Sheets would be 100cm by 60cm giving a total area of 6,000 sqcm x 2 (both sides) = 12,000 sqcm per sheet. 100 sheets per bin equals a total crawl space of 1.2m sqcm. Allowing 5cm per cricket (I know Patton suggests 2.5 but being conservative) equals 240,000 crickets per bin. At an adult weight of 0.4g, that would result in 84K per harvest so 28k psqm. Based on a 6 week harvest schedule that equates to 613k per bin, or 204k psqm per year.

If anyone has any thoughts would they like to review and let me know? Makes a big difference to the top line!

Thanks for your help

Matt

Comments

• Hi Mattyjmurray, - I do not rear crickets.

J. Dzamba, who designed a mult-chambered cricket production system orientated vertically, estimated 64 Kg crickets/cubic meter at a conference in 2014.

DeFoliart & team (1998) reared 6,000 crickets in cages 50 x 44 x 20.5 cm.

Makkar, et al. (2014) in "State-of-the-art in use of insects as animal feed", originally published in journal Animal Feed Science and Technology (197) reported crickets can be reared at densities of 2,000 crickets/sq. mt.

What seems to be overlooked when projecting adult yield is that diet influences weight & also overlooked is the age when decide to cull them influences how many of the original population is still alive. Mortality dynamic is discussed elsewhere in Forum, such as found in 1st comment on recent thread "Wet crickets to cricket powder ratio" which references Collavo, et al free full text on-line research as per a specific diet.

Lundy & Parella (2015) "Crickets are not a free lunch ....", available in-line as free full text, also tested diets. They began with 50,000 cricket eggs per diet trialed & estimated 70% were hatching for them. The living space provided 172,800 sq. cm. for the resulting population, which authors extrapolate as a density of 1 cricket/5.25 cm.

• Thanks Gringojay and for the studies which I've now read. I've spoken to another farmer who reckons 2.5lbs per cubic foot is possible which matches my initial calculation. J. Dzamba's projections seem rather high to me (I'm not even sure what a cubic metre of wet crickets would weigh in total but can't be much more than 64 kg) but hopefully he's right!