Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Delaying pupation to increase mealworm size

I raise tenebrio molitor. I have successfully raised them for years, but have not been able to achieve the large sizes I see from 'professional' producers. I sometimes purchase additional stock when expanding my colonies, and the worms I receive are 1.5" long and quite chubby - my worms never reach this size, they begin pupating and are only averaging 1".

How can I create an environment that will increase the number of instars so the worms get larger without pupating? I have been pouring through the forum and online, if I missed something I apologize.

My growing conditions: - 80 degrees F - humidity is 60% - wheat bran as a substrate, with potatoes and carrots for moisture fed every 2-3 days. - window present, so daily cycle of sunlight is present - Frass sifted at 2" deep

Planned tests to gauge impact on size - remove sunlight - feed potatoes/carrots at larger intervals, 3-5 days maybe - reduce humidity - place in cold temps for a week, then warm back up - leave frass, at least 2" thick

Any other thoughts or ideas? I appreciate any help!

Comments