My first harvest and tasting

Today's meal: Veggie pasta with cinnamon tenebrio molitor.

Farm: Last spring I bought 100 mealworms and now there are many thousands. This week, the first members of generation 3 started pupating, which I decided in the very beginning would be my signal to start harvesting them.

Prep: I pulled out about 20 larvae or so, fed them cinnamon for a full day, froze for another day. I boiled them together with pasta and veggies. No sauces or anything that might distract from the flavour

First reaction: I actually can't even taste the cinnamon. I'm guessing I didn't gut load them long enough, or I should have mixed it with their usual meal.

Regardless, they taste good. It's subtle, but nutty and creamy. Umami I guess? Like peanut butter or something.

In the future I'll experiment with different pairings.

Overall: It was tasty, cheap, and easy to make.

Comments

• I have read crickets fed mint take up that taste.

Thais cut down protein before culling & feed pumpkin for some days for better taste.

Maybe you are only doing a "gut loading" by feeding cinnamon for a day & the amount inside at time of cooking is minimal.

Although my memory is vague on it I think another person used culinary herbs (which I surmise were thyme, basil, &/or rosemary) as diet ingredients.

• Hmm mint! I'll have to try that.

This batch of mealworms had about 2 days of gut loading, this time with cinnamon, bran, and parsley. Still no noticeable taste of any of that, although they still have a decent taste alone.

Today's meal Quinoa salad with mealworms

I made way more than I expected. It's pretty good though

I boiled the quinoa, broccoli, and larvae together, although I think in this case I probably should have roasted the worms so they work more like crutons. They kind of get 'lost' in the quinoa, both texture and flavour.

20171209_141255

• Hello, this look cool. I'v been in a restorant where I had worms for the first time. Now I'm looking for them in my home country (Seriba) I woudl like to try superworms. Do you have and sugestion, witch stage of superwoms or mealworms is the best to try them. Is it in the stage of larva or pupea?

• Hi paparazzit, - - Larva are the best to use for us.

• tnx for fast reply... looking forward trying them. I could not find any topic for beginers? Sor for OFTOP.

• Hi all... So today i finally prepared some superworms for me. I kept them without feed for 2 days and then froze them for few days. When my wife was out of the house (very importante) I cooked them for 3-4 minutes in boiling water. AT THIS MOMENT SOMETHING STRAGE HAPPEND: something white started coming out of them in the area around the legs? Didn't expect that? Was that normal? After I fry them in a pan for a few minutes. I thing I burnd them a little bit, but first time was just a test flight. They were very crunchy and didn't have any cream texture in them. Little bit earthy and nutty. I thouth they woud have little bit more flavor??

• Hi paparazzit, - I think the transient exudation of white is an amino acid being released from protein contact with water. Aminos & the acid of an amino acid change their charges depending on the water pH. Protein can froth & presumably your white substance looked somewhat light weight.

Essentially the acid's OH part can lose it's H to become a negative O ion with the amino part being either the usual base H2N or the more reactive positive ion H3+N amino part . Yet it can also be a H3+N positive ion with either an OH or a negative O ion in it's acid part.

These single ion charged states & dual ion states can change into one another & shuttle H+ ions. I think the white (amino acids) stop exuding as the amino acid adapts to the water pH & stabilizes it's ion charges so that it no longer disassociates from the protein it was formed up in.

By the way, larvae do not have legs. Did you mean "...around the legs..." exactly or trying to describe body region where crawling bugs would have legs?

• TNX grinojay... when I say legs I mean these little things that i photographed.

IMG_20180320_122958 IMG_20180320_123021