It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Since I learned many things from this community already, I want to contribute to it as well by providing my research I'm doing on drying insects. I will be posting every result I have here, including pictures and stuff. If anyone has any tips for me, or a particular insect he or she wants to know how to dry, please comment!
Method: So, I recently bought a food dehydrator, an Espressions Dehydrator EP5600 (€80,-). It can dry at 55, 65 and 75 degrees Celsius (131 F, 149 F and 167 F). I will be putting different kind of insects in the dehydrator at 55, 65 and 75 degrees Celsius for 6, 8, 10 and 12 hours, put them in closed containers and see which ones develop mold and which ones stays allright. I will also be looking at weight(loss), color, form and odor.
Test 1 So, first insect to test are my own bred B. dubia. I raise these for my reptiles and do not consider eating them at the moment, but who knows, in the future... Setup information is included in the picture below. It also shows how the insects look when dried. I consider this one succesfull! 8 days after this test, '6 HR' is starting to smell funky. This is however what I expected so no big deal. As you can see they lost 63,3% of their original weight!
Note: these B. dubia are rather small, so I'm pretty sure that big, healthier B. dubia will also mold at '8 HR.'
Zophobas morio - Superworm no results yet
Locusta migratoria - Migratory locust no results yet
Tenebrio molitor - Mealworm no results yet
Galleria mellonella - Greater Wax Moth no results yet
Musca domestica - Common housefly no results yet
Hermetia illucens - Black Soldier Fly no results yet
Zophobas morio - Superworm
Test 2 So, after I dried my cockroaches I decided to buy some of the most common feeders and dry those to see how that would go. The reason I only noted 6 hours and 12 hours is because at the 6 hour mark I already saw that this session wasn't going to give me the results I wanted. 75 degrees Celsius is too hot to dry the insects used in Test 2.Setup information is again included in the picture below. Starting weight: 26 grams. Final weight: 8,81 grams. Total weight lose: 66,11%. I will dry superworms again soon at a lower temperature because I think they were dried at a temperature that was too high. I hope to that a lower temperature will just dry them, instead of 'roast' them too.
Locusta migratoria - Migratory locust
Test 2 Once again, information is in the picture below. Total weight loss: 66,23%. Also for these I think the temperature was just too high. They were SUPER crunchy and look somewhat 'roasted,' and they also had a kind of weird odor to them. Will also dry these again soon at a lower temperature.
Tenebrio molitor - Mealworm
Test 2 As usual, information in the picture below. Starting weight: 28 grams. Final weight: 9,41 grams. Total weight loss: 66,39%. Temperature for these was WAY to high. They look burned. Will try these again at lower temperature.
Test 2 Last but not least, my own bred waxworms. I already found out in an earlier test (in the oven at very low temperature) that these would be a pain in the ass to dry. At 6 hours they already started to look pretty messed up (or hadn't changed at all..) and after 12 hours they looked absolutely withered. Will try these again at a lower temperature.
Well, that's it for today. Will do some more tests as soon as possible but this could take a few weeks...
I hope this information is helpful for people looking for a way to preserve their insects by drying them.