cricket crossbreed

Hi all,

anyone try to crossbreed crickets? I read an article saying crossbreeding Acheta and Gryllus Bimaticus will improve hatching rate and health of nymph? i had no knowledge on crossbreeding and thought it was impossible. Anybody has experience on this?

Comments

• edited November 20

Hi sinbaddang, - Since I do not rear crickets my knowledge of this is not precise. However will say what comes to mind if might interest you.

First, my impression is that you may have reversed the crossbreeding outcomes; namely that in time the progeny is less impressive. Based on other animals quite often in cross breeding the 1st generation seems good & then recessive gene(s) that a parent had under repression come into expression (copying for use).

Problems were noted years ago when mating the same kind of crickets from one climatic zone to another (same cricket from different latitude, where one diapaused & other did not). The conclusion was that " ...meiotic disturbances during spermatogenesis ... (& ) ... abnormal development ... ovaries ... (in) ... hybrid progeny ..." occurred.

See Fontana & Hogan (1969) "Cytogenic and hybridization studies of geographic populations of Teleogryllus commodus ... and T. oceanicus ...."; free full text available on-line. The number of chromosomes are the same yet where the cell division centro-mere sets up & also variability of auto-somes creates poor hybridization; auto-somal genetics just need to have 1 gene allele that is different to be detrimental.

Also see Veen, Tyler & Tregenza (2013) "Diverse reproductive barriers in hybridizing crickets suggest extensive variation in the evolution and maintenance of isolation"; available on-line as free full pdf

Try also Moran (2017) "A behavioural and genomic approach to studying the evolution of isolation: a contact zone between closely related field crickets in the genus Teleogryllus"; free full text available on-line.

For insight (2009) into how crickets identify whether mating is suitable or not the following reveals how females respond to the right male song; it is not only hearing a male but nuances our human ears do not detect. "Two matched filters and the evolution of mating signals in four species of cricket"; free full text available on-line.

• Would be interesting to suceed, looks to be a good project for genetics.