Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

COCKROACH FARMING

HOW TO FARM COCKROACHES IN INDIA... NEED IMPORTER FROM OTHER COUNTRIES... TO KNOW THE DEMAND OF COCKROACHES IN ABROAD....

Tagged:

Comments

• u can search the video on YouTube. i already seen one

• HI verra, - for taste the Madagasscar "hissing" cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) could be your best bet. I do not think you will find a market to sell them easily in the U.S.A. because they are reared by hobbyists. You should be aware that some people can "sensitize" (become allergic) from handling them (& other cockroaches - especially those prone to asthma).

If you are in India then I suggest you talk to a laboratory for purifying out their protein & then market that as an ingredient for "pet" food. Since India's technical capabilities are of good quality & a lot of scientific equipment is made there it should be possible to analyze the specific "oils" (lipids/fatty acids) in a species of cockroach that are rarer in nature - these could be purified & sold (for example the oil extracted from the Australian Emu is anti-inflammatory & sells for a premium).

If (& to be clear here, I don't know the likely-hood) you find lignoceric acid (a very long 24:0 chain saturated fatty acid ) it can be touted as a preventative of sudden cardiac arrest (according to 2014: http://www.plefa.com/article/S0952-3278(14)00108-2/abstract). Peanut oil has 2% lignoceric acid & should you isolate a source from cockroaches then concievably a fortified in lignoceric acid food item could be formulated blended it into peanut butter. The reason I think you might find lignoceric acid in cockroaches is the very long chain fatty acids are "made" (synthesized) in living organisms from "oil" (humans synthesize small amounts of very long chain fatty acids too).

• Scary to think: (Quote) "... prevalence of cockroach hypersensitivity in atopic (20-55%) and asthmatic (49-60%) populations has been documented...."; as per "Molecular Characteristics of Cockroach Allergens" published in Cellular & Molecular Immunology. 2005;2(3):177-180; free full text = http://www.cmi.ustc.edu.cn/2/3/177.pdf

Although most attention is given to cockroach sensitizing children the dynamics can also occur in the elderly; although at a lower rate. About 24% of respiratory risk comes from cockroach allergens in bedroom floors &/or carpets. Source = (2001) "Asthma severity, atopic status, allergen exposure, and quality of life in elderly persons"; free full Annal of Allergy Asthma Immunol text = http://centerforhealthyhousing.org/Portals/0/Contents/Article0221.pdf

• I am still building up my number of cockroaches and use basic hygiene measures. I will look into wearing a dust mask etc when my insect numbers increase. I pay strict attention to hygiene in my breeding shed and also to prevent any escapes.

• In Australia they are hated with a vengence and seen as being filthy. The great thing though is that if i bred them I could call them their other name... "Woodies". !!! :D

• A good point Kerri..yes they are certainly one of the less popular species. I also live in Australia and people usually bring up the subject of giant cockroaches in Sydney..apparently are quite scary. I use the name "Woodies" as well....

• Ok, I feel like I can join this discussion. I successfully bred and eaten roaches and am now confident in their future as a food. I have only eaten a few insect species namely mealworms, crickets, grashoppers, ants, and a local moth larva; however, after preparing roaches several ways over the past month, I can say with confidence that the roaches (after fasting) have the best flavor. Now my goal is to build my colony into production capacity. There are only handful of roach farmers in the US and the price for roaches is therefore high, but I believe I can produce a very desirable, high-end product and as the production increases, the cost will become very compeditive. Anyone started large scale production outside China?

• I would also like to hear from anyone involved in large scale production. I have a similar goal in 2015: to build my colony into production capacity. How interesting, that there is only a handful of roach farmers in the US. I find the roaches much easier to breed than crickets and of course quieter... i have had a few escapees but normally only when sorting or grading.

• edited December 2014

Not involved in large scale production, but I could imagine that it shouldn't be too hard. You should make:

1. breedingcages with more females then males (which is very easy with B. dubia because of sexual dimorphism) --> put a tray just above the bottom. The top plate of the tray should have holes in it that are big enough for babies to crawl through. The bottom plate should have smaller holes so the frass can fall through, but not the babies.

2. Then it's just a matter of relocating the tray with the babies in grow-up containers and keep doing that every week or so...

Traditional hobby breeding of roaches almost always involves using high containers with egg trays put in vertically to provide more space. I think you could also use a different approach, where you would use trays which are also used for rearing mealworms to put raise the roaches in. You can still put a eggtray in the container. I do not know however if there are any foodsafety aspects applicable to eggtrays, because the roaches could also eat from them (but when you provide enough food, they probably won't.)

1. Make the decision to harvest the roaches when they are either sub-adult or adult. I would personally go for sub-adult because they do not have such a hard exoskeleton as adults have. Another advantage of this is that the roaches take less long to reach sub-adult then adult stage. On top of that: Big sub-adult roaches are not that much smaller then adult roaches. This way you can shorten the breeding cyclus. This may be very economically interesting!

2. I don't know what the risks of preparing roaches are and what you should or should not do. Maybe you shouldn't feed them 1 or 2 weeks prior to harvesting but I don't know if that would be enough. You should take all necessary sanitary precautions, remove the frass regularly and replace the food regularly. For cleaning purposes it might be better to just provide them water from a non-vegetable source and feed them something like dogfood or some kind of grain product. I'm sure there is literature about this.

Hope I'm being somewhat clear right here. I'm very bad at explaining and even worse at explaining in English :p If there is anything still unclear, just ask! I have being breeding roaches (Blaptica dubia) for almost 8 years now :)

• By the way, if there is anyone in the USA wanting to go 'pro' on breeding roaches and has some questions, don't hestitate to contact me and maybe I could help you out on some points and learn something of it myself along the way :)

E-mail: jesse.willems1995@gmail.com or just shoot me a pm on the forum.

• Sorry for the tripple posting, but I started a new thread going indept on calculations for Blaptica dubia: http://www.openbugfarm.com/forum.html#/discussion/186/calculations-on-blaptica-dubia-mass-rearing?new=1

• EntoJesse - fasting for 1-2 weeks seems excessive with potential for loss of fats and even proteins. I've been fasting mine for 1-2 days with the best taste results after 2 days. Have you had experience or collected data on this? Thanks for the input - it's exciting to see more interest. I'll be contacting you soon. Where are you in the world? I'm in Portland, Oregon, USA

Cheers!

• To be honnest I've never eaten a roach before and I have to admit that I'm not that much into eating my roaches. Most likely because I've always raised them for my lizards and only recently even some as pets ^^

I'm from a town nearby Eindhoven, Netherlands

• Thank you EntoJesse for the great info on roach breeding, i live in Australia but am hoping to do this on a commercial basis. So i will contact you if i have any questions. I am using the lobster roach as we so not have Dubia in Australia, a shame as they look like a wonderful kind of roach to keep. I have never had the desire to eat a roach but if a chef prepared one for me in an appealing way i would give it a try.

I am using water crystals at the moment and providing fresh vegetables and fruit. The sorting of babies i do by using buckets drilled with various size holes and shaking over a container. What is your heating method EntoJesse?

• edited December 2014

I heat them with heatmats put on the bottom of the cage. However this is not viable in commercial operations.

The big advantage of heatingmats at the bottom is that the bottom becomes so hot and dry that dead roaches will not mould/decay but just dry.

I also rear them in small environment rooms I made myself. It has a heatcable and a thermostat (cheap one, just 15 euros) which keep it at exactly 30 degrees Celsius.

If you have any questions, please contact :)

• Are roaches more efficient that crickets? Because if so, then you do roach powder, like cricket powder, and most people wouldn't even know or mind.

• Although worth keeping in mind the stats @gringojay mentioned above regarding the prevalence of roach allergies.

• I got too busy to keep crickets and snails in my experimental ways... had to revert to just mealworms and could only do that because i had a Tiny Farms kit which works well. So, Tiny Farms, when you bring out smart kits for other species in years to come, I will happily expand. I comment less lately but love to read.

• EntoJesse i am just wondering what kind of shelving system you use on which to store your roach tubs ? I am looking at metal shelving on which to stack my tubs and will use heating cables this winter.

• @katee571 , I'm currently using very small tubs to see how many roaches I can breed in a certain space (as calculated in my other dubia thread). The shelving system I use can be found here: http://www.openbugfarm.com/forum.html#/discussion/198/diy-show-your-homemade-controlled-environment-rooms.

When I have a closed breeding cycle going for the roaches, I will build a bigger shelving system (probably self-made from wood) and aim to produce 5-10 kg roaches per week.

• Thanks EntoJesse, i like your set up. Always interested to see other peoples insect rearing methods. Please keep posting updates of your progress !

• Thank you @katee571 :) I will keep posting updates.

• I have multiple roach tubs to heat and am wondering what may be the most efficient and safe method. I have used heat cables (similar to what is used for reptiles) but they don't really suit the number of tubs i have ( around 14 storage tubs of 70 L capacity). Thinking to purchase a space heater ? Sorry to cover old ground..still trying to get the heating right for the coming winter.

• Sorry..forgot to mention that i have also used heat mats. However they are quite expensive for a commercial operation (as EntoJesse mentioned previously).

• Hi katee, - Do you have a hot water heater? Maybe this will be an economical solution to your design.

"... a simple way to turn an existing water heater into a space heater. It's also one of the most economical space heaters around because it captures heat from your existing water heater," says Harrold Andresen about a new-style space heater his company, Mechanical Excellence Inc., has developed. "The 'Cozy Heater' mounts on a conventional water heater and works like a hot water radiator. It consists of a copper coil housed inside an 8-in. dia. stove pipe that mounts parallel to the water heater. The copper coil is plumbed into the hot water line. A small fan inside the stove pipe blows hot air out a 90 degree elbow fitted to the bottom of the stove pipe." Quote from Farmshow magazine, Volume #20, Issue #2, Page #12 & try this link to old little picture: http://www.farmshow.com/images/resize.php?w=300&img=/images/articles/20/2/24183_l.jpg

On line plans are still available (I've no financial interest in this); and apparently there is a commercially manufactured line of heating products sold under the same name. Unfortunately I can not say I have personal experience of how well this gizmo works or what all materials would cost. Offering link = http://gizmoplans.com/cozy-space-heater-plans

• 100 million year old cockroach Manipulator modificaputis picture: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27439-predatory-cockroach-from-dinosaur-era-found-trapped-in-amber.html?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%7CNSNS%7C2015-GLOBAL-hoot#.VUN6BvlVhBf

The picture is through amber insect was trapped in. If follow link at that article's page bottom (blue words) you can read the full free pdf of original researcher's publication.

• Thanks gringojay for the excellent information & links. I will check them out !

• "JOE'S APARTMENT" greatest hits .... -&- -&- -&- -&- - &- -&- -&-

• LOL!! Thanks gringojay ! Stuck inside at moment because of snow so enjoyed watching these funny videos!