Cost and profit

Hi,

I've found on the web the following: 10,000 square feet can cost $100,000 dollars to set up. Those 10,000 square feet can produce maybe 5,000 kilograms a month or product. Our capital cost is paid off over time and then we just have our operating expenses.

Can you confirm these figures? Also, in your experience what would be the running cost of such a farm?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Hi piede828, - What insect is this in reference to?

• Hi gringojay,

This is in reference to crickets.

• Hi piede828, - I have no personal experience with crickets to give you definite orientation. While waiting for better replys you may still be interested in the following orientation.

With crickets their total weight is not the same as their useable edible weight. Elsewhere in Forum (via search function of "web" version of this site) details of how to calculate edible weight minus legs/etc.

The question of regular operating cost & overhead depends in part whether you must manage their environment. Operators in S.E. Asia usually have tolerable climates for their sheds, while operators in regions of winter cold & summer heat waves must have the ability to warm &/or cool their projects.

One further question to you is whether you have mixed the units of measurement originally cited. I ask because giving yield in Kg usually one refers to area in meters, or when see area in feet the yield is in pounds. Were you refering to 10,000 square meters by any chance?

• Hi @piede828,

Can you please send your source? I can help you with your running cost question once I see what you're referring to. I've done some work on breaking down commercial scale costs.

SG

• thanks @gringojay and @samglickstein,

I've found this information in this article: https://bugible.com/2016/04/12/the-future-of-cricket-farming-and-the-real-value-of-crickets-as-told-by-next-millennium-farms/

The source is Jarrod of Next Millennium Farms.

@samglickstein it would be really great if you could share details of the work you've done around commercial scale costs!

• Hipiede828, - As get time to do some math will comment more. For now, having seen your link want to point out that cricket flour has chitin component & there are amino acids (protein) bound to chitin.

Human ability to break free protein from chitin is, in my opinion, very poor. Which is to say that, laboratory data of specific amino acids in a cricket "flour" batch does not automatically equate to those amounts of amino acids being biologically available if we ate some of that batch of cricket flour.

• Here is recent data from Thailand commercial cricket farm for their Acheta domesticus production. In a portion of their facility (they rear 2 kinds of crickets) & based on their specific diet they produced 1.17 Kg/m2 of that facility portion per month of Acheta domesticus (fresh weight). The average developmental period for those Acheta domesticus on that diet & environment was 49 days

Looking more closely at the property usage a major portion under roof was dedicated to foot traffic, feed storage, water usage, harvest processing & packing/dispatch. About 27% of that portion of the facility related to Acheta domesticus activity any one time actually had concrete bins of Acheta domesticus growing that were occupying floor area under roof. An additional 9% of that under roof area had concrete bins that, any one time, had egg/pinhead related activity &/or transition activity of turnover functions like cleaning/disinfection/restocking/etc. Thus, if consider only the area where growing crickets were taking up floor space (27%) production yield for that floor space was 4.34 Kg/m2 per month.

I leave it up to others to convert this production reference to a facility measured in square feet. My numbers are calculated from data of a Thailand yield of 19,105 Kg in 1 year of Acheta domesticus in 1,360 sq.meter facility; so recommend others check my math on monthly average production under roof.

• @piede828 I'd be happy to have a conversation with you. Please email me at sam@biotrophics.com and we can set something up. It will take way too long to type on the forum post.

• @piede828 @samglickstein - it would be great if you posted a summary of that afterwards as this is something I have been looking at also - our figs say about $25000 for a 1000kg per month plant so in line with above

• @interestedinbugs, I'd be happy to. It'll be more of a blueprint to get to a number rather than a $/kg figure, just FYI

• @samglickstein - that's brilliant thank you - anything to work on at this stage is very helpful

• @interestedinbugs feel free to email me as well to set up a time to discuss separately.

• @samglickstein this is great stuff. I'll drop an email so that we can discuss. @interestedinbugs it would be great to see how did you get to that figure.

I'm then happy to share learnings back here.