Nutritional Info on Dried Soldier Fly Larvea

Just wondering if anyone has had any sent to a lab? I was looking online for some info and well I can find some , I cannot find anything very in depth.

Comments

• Forum topic thread "Data Resources" has lots of insects' composition analysis. What you feed them in particular & the age at which tested can cause some variabilty.

Although never looked into it in detail I assume there may be additional variability in which strain of the same insect was tested. But, in my opinion, any potential variability is not significant & ratios of composition can be assumed to fairly accurate for most purposes.

Now, if you are going to commercialize them on a large scale - like for commercial breeder's of fish or poultry feed you need specifics about your bugs. Once have perfected your cost effective diet for your bugs, at the chosen culling age you prefer, then would be the time to look for lab testing. A 1st try for inexpensive composition testing would be a University, like an Agricultural or Entomology Department.

• Thank you very much gringojay, you are always the one to answer my questions. We already have some testing lined up I am just putting together a website and was looking for nutritional info for general comparison.

This is a little off topic from the original discussion but I am breeding a few different insects (Crickets, Darkling Beetles, and soon Black Soldier Flies) and one issue that has risen up in my cricket farming was housing, I see a lot of people using Egg Carton which I am trying not to use because of the crickets tendency to eat it, regardless of other food i provide. I am trying to house the crickets vertically so their waste falls to the bottom and they do not live in it. I have put together cardboard units that seem to be working fairly well but the crickets still eat it to some extent. I was wondering if you have any suggestions to this issue.

• edited April 2017

A couple things increase the crickets tendency to eat their substrate:

1. moisture - such as spilled water droplets from their water dish

2. spilled feed - they'll chop right into that cardboard seasoned with feed

3. crowding/egress - if the substrate is packed too tightly or overcrowded and the crickets find it difficult to move around the habitat without bumping into too many of their roomies they tend to start chewing holes in the substrate to make new paths. You can mitigate this by making sure the flats are stacked in an alternating arrangement (back-to-back, front-to-front,etc.) so there are large openings. You can also punch holes in the flats to add pathways

• edited April 2017

For black soldier fly (& house crickets, yellow mealworms, german cockroach) data when fed on high protein + high fat, or high protein + low fat, or low protein + high fat, or low prorein + low fat try this free full (2015) link = http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0144601

Researchers' Table 3 details variation based on those 4 diets as relate to survival rate, development time, feed conversion fresh & feed concersion dry. Table 6 breaks down specific fatty acids in insect at stage tested (as specified in report "method" section) relative to which kind of diet fed.

• Thank you very much gringojay that is an extremely helpful article.

And thank you Andrew I have noticed they have not been eating the vertical housing I have been using, any one of those reasons could be why they were before. I have had to wrap any styrofoam I have been using because they seem to nibble on it somewhat no matter what I do, TUCKTAPE has proven invaluable for utilizing styrofoam as a building material for my rearing bins.