Jamaican field crickets

Anyone know where G. assimillus can be purchase online in the United States? I tried Ghann's in Georgia.

Tagged:

Comments

• I am not from USA but here in Europe, every commercial online shop for food insects for reptiles sells them.

• Not here in the States. It's either domesticus or sigillatus. We had a few farms doing assimilus a few years back, but that didn't last long.

• Somewhere i read that assimillus doesn't taste as good as the other. but maybe i am mistaken and that was some other cricket...

• The assimilus are meant for feeding animals.

• Ok i see. I wonder why... can the taste really be that different from the other species that are eaten? If you give them the same diet o.O

• Oh sorry lol. I meant the assimilus would be bred for food for my reptiles. I forget ppl eat insects.

• From what I have read the jamaican field cricket is banned in america now the only options are the European, Banded, or native species.

• Ghann's Cricket Farm stopped promoting sales of Gryllus assimilis by 2013 having found them not as profitable as had hoped for, due to slower breeding issues & rearing costs involved. Their website does not specify U.S. Agricultural Department has banned them; however it mentions Gryllus bimaculatus Black Field Cricket is banned & tranfer of Gryllus locorojo not allowed.

In 2010 Louisiana State University agronomists had already noted G. assimilis did not have good commercial potential & cooperating with Fluker's Farm determined in a 3 year long trial that Gryllodes sigillatus Tropical House Cricket were ideal. Although adults' size only average 0.7 inches in comparison to adult Acheta domesticus House Cricket they found a method where G. sigillatus went from egg to adult in as quick as 33 days, as compared to A. domesticus needing 48 days under the same tactics. Another 2 factors they noted were that light to dark cycles had no impact on productivity & they were relatively amenable to population density.

• @gringojay - do you have a title or link handy for the 2010 reference there regarding G. sigillatus vs domesticus? Would like to read that one

• Hi andrew, - The founder of Fluker's is a Louisiana State graduate & this is probably a significant reason why department entomologists got involved with him; presumably after approached to cooperate. I don't know what specific protocol they eventually worked out to follow in order to get cited developmental days. I have no idea if Mr. Fluker might be willing to share that with anyone, but since LSU is a state institution think the present Entomology Department should have the research on file - maybe it found it's way into someone's thesis.

I'll try to find the old L.S.U. news release, however it is brief. I have given the significant points in it, although seem to recall it also pointed out G. sigillatus were very resistant to pathological issues of mass rearing.

Let me add that when bulletin discussed development time from egg to adult for the 2 kinds of crickets the wording was describing the absolute "... minimum time ..." (as in "... as short as ...") for the development any reared batch achieved over the project course. Article specified that the comparison of minimum developmental time for the 2 kinds of crickets is under identical circumstances; so can not say if they did any non-identical protocols that may have generated a better minimum developmental time for A. domesticus.

• edited June 19

Thanks for digging that up @gringojay. The part I'm most interested in is the findings around the effect (or lack thereof) of the Light/Dark cycle

• Hi andrew, - This 2 part (1997) study may be of interest: " Circadian locomotor rhythms in the cricket Gryllodes sigillatus. I. Localization of the pacemaker and photoreceptor" ... & ... "Circadian locomotor rhythms in the cricket, Gryllodes sigillatus. II. Interactions between bilaterally paired circadian pacemakers''

• edited June 20

Again andrew, - I think the following is a good lead to a potential genetic explanation why Gryllodes Sigillatus, or at least the breeding strain used in Louisiana, may not care about day/night cycle like other crickets. See "Green-sensitive opsin is the photoreceptor for photic entainment of an insect circadian clock"; free full text available on-line.

Now the cricket studied was not G.sigillatus, but they manipulated the "opsin" gene expression in a way so their kind of cricket did not get ("lost entrainability") adapted to a light-dark cycle. The green sensitive "opsin-Long Wave" gene (but not the opsin genes for blue or ultraviolet) was what was relevant.

Researchers messed entrainment by mimicking (doubling the RNA) multiple green (opsin-Long Wave gene) sensitivity. My point being that possibly (?) G.sigillatus have different gene copy number(s) of the opsin-Long Wave gene than other crickets.

By the way cricket eyes are compound eyes from very early in the first instar. Not all insects have compound eyes that early in their life cycle.