Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Semi-Automatic Water Station for Crickets

Dear all, I decided to share my prototype of a set-up how to safely and in semi-automated way distribute water to crickets. The description and some pictures are available in my blog here: https://ilkkataponen.com/2017/02/25/semi-automatic-water-station-for-crickets/

Any thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• @Ilkaa_taponen thanks for sharing this here - this concept is a really nice gift to the community to play with and hopefully develop further!

• Wow looks nice.

What is it that Entomo farms use instead of egg cartons?

• Hi Ilkka, - My thinking is that levelling the water apparatus, constructing it to precision & also cleaning it might be improved by adapting drip irrigation water "emitters" (what water comes out from). The drip irrigation "tubing" (pipe) is fairly cheap & there are all kinds of "fittings" (adapters) to create an assembly that fits a design.

Drip emitters that each have a built in "diaphragm" allows a series of these drip outlets to give the same outflow rate even when the water tubing is not level. Emitters come in different out flow rate & also there are "self clearing" emitters that do not clog up.

Fabricating a water supply line with individual emitters is fairly simple: a hole is pushed into the soft tube & the "barb" (tapered end) of an emitter is forced through to access the tube interior. There are also pre-fabricated lenghts of drip irrigation tubing with a kind of emitter already in the tubing; these come in a few different distances between emitters along the tubing length.

There is more choices in kinds of drip emitters that require water pressure coming into the tubing, but some emitters are suitable for gravity fed water lines. Then too, there are emitters you can connect a very small tube to & use that as a branch tube to divert water a distance away from the emitter where water comes out from; this would be useful if don't want crickets mobbing a small water source, but instead find emitted water in a shallow dish (dish gets slow rate resupply or own drain ... maybe even thin layer of bees wax atop water inflow).

There are also "soaker" hose drip irrigation products that basically ooze water through pores. These bring up the issue of how to deal with an excess of water dripping beyond the rate of cricket water consumption.

"Jacketed" (like a coat jacket) equipment is used in industry & laboratories to have something contained within a double layer that also has a space between the 2 layers. In this concept the drip emitters' excess water outflow would fall into a half open trough (open jacket) to be carried away (even could be diverted to a catchment container to become a "reservoir").

• Wow thank you very much Gringojay for the interesting idea!