Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

The latest entomophagy kickstarter campaign is underway!

Hopper Bars of Austin, TX has been producing small quantities of really tasty sweet and savory cricket protein bars for the better part of this year and now they've launched a kickstarter campaign to purchase packaging equipment.

These guys are great!

Comments

• We've heard these may be among the most delicious energy bars (cricket regardless) yet to hit the market

• edited July 2014

I haven't tried Chapul or Exo bars (shame on me), but I can attest that they're not only taste like actual food, similar to a Kind bar, but the flavors are very balanced.

• Chapel bars are ok, not that great overall, Thai bar is the best. Exo bars are really good with the PB&J being excelent.

• Howdy BamBoom, thanks for your bar comment. I plan to have bugvivant.com up and running in about a month, which will be a crowd-sourced edible insect culinary platform. BV will include a section where consumers can rate the various commercial edible insect products on the market. Hope to encounter your opinions again soon!

• MeghanCurry - I've not been this excited about something (entomophagy) since I first discovered pop-rocks. I'm definitely an insectivore now and my son and I will be trying every product I can get my hands on. I'm an organic vegetable farmer turned corporate ecologist and hope to transition back to food with my own business in the market of entomophagy in the few years. I'm thrilled to see your site as this movement desperately needs a shopping center. You will know me well!

• Great to hear BamBoom. This idea is truly infectious.

• I tried Chapul bars this weekend, and they were terrible. Maybe I had a bad batch or something, but that was not something I would try again. They tasted like dirt.

I am wondering why everyone starts with crickets for these ventures. Why not mealworms or a better tasting insect to start with.

• @VelaCreations - we've tried a couple of Chapul's bar flavors and didn't find them objectionable, so I'm sorry to hear yours were so bad.

At the moment everyone is starting with crickets because they believe (whether correct or not) that crickets are the least objectionable insect to break the public on. Since the insect itself is being masked by the food, the flavor is less important than the psychological association and nutrition fact. Crickets have the advantage of being high in protein and low in fats so they are a good addition to products riding the "eat more protein" trend / wave, and they are more shelf stable with minimal processing than a higher fat insect.

Here at Tiny Farms we would love for people to start developing more products using mealworms and other species, but the main players are fairly focused on crickets for the time being. That said, they are also open to using other species once the market has demonstrated fairly broad acceptance of the concept of eating insects.

• Yeah, I think crickets are more objectionable than mealworms. And most of the products are cricket powder based, anyway, so any insect could be in there. I think the more legs it has sticking out, the bigger the issue for most people.

Crickets have a host of problems, especially trying to bring the cost of this protein down to realistic levels for mass adoption. Their FCR and labor requirements will create a high floor for the price.

I tried the Chapul Thai bars, and they were ok, not bad like the peanut butter one. Still, they are not exceptional, which they really need to be, because otherwise, why am I paying $5 for a bar that should cost $1?

I think the cricket approach was a strategy based more on availability of supply than anything else. It's the cheapest insect produced at scale right now. No one wants to start the infrastructure from scratch, so they are outsourcing production. They pick the insect they can get - crickets.

• Crickets can be bred cheap in a short time (30 days) so that´s one positive thing. With a a good breeding and feeding system all prices will go down . Problem is that there is not enough demand for raw or frozen crickets .Those bars should be sold for 1$ or less.