Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Banded crickets vs House crickets [?]

I've recently switched from breeding House crickets to Banded crickets. It seems the Bandeds are producing way more offspring under the same condition than the House crickets ever did. Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• I think banded crickets needs longer for their development an need higher temperatures. They can also jump better than other crickets. Despite of that, i heard that reproduction rate is a bit higher.

• Thanks Carni.

• I would like to add to this. From what I understand the House Cricket gets larger than the Banded Cricket, because of this despite the higher reproduction rate do you think it would be more efficient to raise the house crickets for the weight say if you were producing cricket flour?

• edited February 2017

In terms of reproductive rates, an extrapolation from field crickets may be relevant. There is also a sex based diffence to consider; although will highlight female issues.

Reared on a high 45% protein diet female nymphs only reached mature eclosion an average 0.3% faster than female nymphs reared on lower 28% protein. Males, on the other hand, reached mature eclosion an average 3.0% faster than male nymphs reared on lower 28% protein.

In terms of weight there is also sex specific variability found. Female nymphs reared on high 45% protein only weighed about 2% more at mature eclosion than female nymphs reared on lower 28% protein. Male nymphs reared on high 45% protein, in contrast, weighed about 9% more at adult eclosion than male nymphs reared on lower 28% protein.

Now female nymphs reared on high 45% protein that became adults laid more eggs than those reared on lower 28% protein; presumably because they lived longer. However, for females not reared on high 45% protein but then as adults transfered onto 45% protein diet these actually laid considerably less eggs (up to 49% fewer eggs) than those on a consistant 28% protein diet.

This counter-intuitive details is ascribed to the fact that switching females to a high protein diets as an adult leads to a significant shorter lifespan for the female & thus less time to lay eggs. This is in contrast to females reared as nymphs on a high protein diet which end up having a longer lifespan & thus more time to lay eggs.

Another extrapolated dietary tactic to increase weight is manipulating dietary phosphorus content, since improved dietary phosphorus feed leads to greater cricket weight. Bugs will not simply eat more of their feed to get more phosporus if their diet is low in phosphorus.

Reared as nymphs on diet with 0.8 - 1.0% phosphorus females are both more likely to lay eggs and also lay more eggs in their lifetime. Phosphorus supplement can be in the form of calcium phosphate & when have that manipulated level of phosphorus also assure dietary calcium is 1.0% (can use calcium carbonate as supplement).

Be sure to look at other diet ingredients' naturally found average phosphorus & calcium content, since some artificial diet ingredients contain these already. If only feeding plants then consider those plant items are supplying 0.2% phosphorus to the diet, since that is the average phosphorus content in plants.

• Around 3 weeks ago (my bad, haven't documeted it) i started 1 box with house cricket and 1 box with Gryllus assimilis. House cricket at around 227-8 °C and Gryllus assimilis at around 30-31 °C. Both were very small when i bought them and around the same size, Gryllus assimilis a little bigger Now the Gryllus assimilis are 2x-3x some even 4x as big as the house crickets. Food for both was the same. The box for Gryllus assimilis is also around 10cm x 10cm bigger.

I wonder if its the temperature that lets the Gryllus assimilis grow faster or maybe the bigger box? Anyone got some experience about that?

• 100 grams of cricket "flour/powder" requires approximately 900 Gryllus assimilis or approximately 1,112 Acheta domesticus for 100 grams of cricket "flour/powder", according to a Thai seller's product description.

I don't rear crickets & will offer the site scalesandfins dot com following quote without any personal opinion. "Acheta domesticus ... are a more cost effective cricket to rear than Gryllus assimilis."

• Banded cricket yield (G. sigillatus) / 250 - 350 females / 7.5 days of nesting @ 90°-72° / 12/12hr light cycle ~approx. 15K - 18K. IMG_1752

• Awesome :) What is it inside that green bowels? And as water source you use a wet towels i think? I wonder how long it takes that it dries out. And how big is the box in that photo? Looks pretty large.

• Thanks. It's a 56q Sterilite box, and fine ground dog food is in the green bowls. The wet towel's for water/humidity but I've switched from using terry towels to an inverted jar/paper towel thingy. (pic) IMG_1781