Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

slow down pupae to beetle

I'm getting an awful lot of beetles right now. I wonder if keeping the pupae cool ( 40 to 50 degrees) will slow down the change- or will it kill them?

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi lincdales, - I would not go much lower than 40F for prolonged time to avoid adults emerging with wing defects & also void inducing pupae dessication, which will negatively impact rate of pupae survival. (2000) Graham, Walker & Davies' research "Developmental and environmental regulation of antifreeze proteins in the mealworm beetle Tenebrio molitor", originally published in FEBS Journal; free full text = http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1432-1327.2000.01734.x/full

The T.molitor "anti-feeze" builds as larvae age, but pupae do not make any "anti-freeze" themselves when suddenly subjected to cold. Consider pre-treating the late stage larvae with progressively moderate reduced temperatures, because then those larvae will make more of their "anti-freeze", which will lead to pupae starting out with higher amounts of that. "Pupae are somewhat chill tolerant, and as larvae tend to pupate in the spring, THPs (("anti-freeze")) may provide protection against late frosts...."

The pupae will rely on what they get from being matured larvae; "... upon pupation, message levels decreased in excess of 23-fold, while protein levels decreased less than twofold ... persistence of moderate levels ... in pupae ... retained as protection against low temperature ...." See cited research Fig 2 middle of chart entry for included pupae data; notice there are some gender based differences & time phase changes.Pupae "anti-freeze" levels in contrast to "... adult protein levels decreased up to sevenfold, relative to levels in final instar larvae."