Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Making cricket flour

Does anyone know what kind of mill I should purchase in order to make cricket flour? Also, what should the consistency of the four feel like? Is this flour supposed to be moist?

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Nello, - I had hoped someone rearing crickets would have responded to you, since I don't work with crickets. If you use the Forum search function you will find some prior discussions about cricket "flour".

Forum threads = "Better cricket powder processing--The path to a cheaper, safer, more nutritious cricket powder" ... "Grinding insects for flour" ... "Equipment for grinding into flour?" ... "Cricket Processing Equipment Discussion"

I would dry the crickets first; moisture in food kept without refrigeration favors the growth of micro-organisms. Most seem to oven dry them, although freezing also de-hydrates cells.

For home scale operations it may actually be best to both oven dry the crickets in order to kill most micro-organisms & then freeze them. My thinking is that way when you subject them to milling they will be frozen & they may shatter to (?) grind finer - without having to use a "hammer mill" (these are costly). However, I have no direct experience with cricket flour; but for smooth presentation & taste experience aesthetic use I assume you don't want the consistency to include chunks or chip pieces.