Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

acheta domesticus or gryllus assimilis?

for the last ten months i'v been breeding crickets. one day a gay come to me and asked me am i sure that i have acheta domesticus? because he thinks that it is not acheta, that is a gryllus assimilis. after that i ask four biologist and received two different responses. two of them were saying that is acheta and the other two claimed that is gryllus. now i'm totally confused and i really want to know which cricket a have. so, i have some pictures of my cricket and if anybody knows what i have i would be happy to know!

1 2 DSC04893 DSC05617 DSC07435 zenka bez antena zenka i muzjak

Comments

• Hi Aleksandar, - Aceta domesticus chirps consist of 2-3 pulses per chirp. On the other hand Gryllus assimilis chirps are quite unique among crickets. Their chirps consist of 6-10 pulses per chirp that are pulsed so quickly our ears can't readily distinguish each seperate pulse - but the 1st pulse in each chirp is shorter lasting & delivered quicker than the next pulses coming along in that chirp. Since impractical to try & count number of pulses in a chirp of Gryllus assimilis listen for their pattern of making 1 chirp per second. There are chirp recordings on-line for different kinds of crickets & if you can't find the 2 you want ask for links.

• hi gringojay, thank you for your answer, i will try to find links and compare to sound of my crickets

• edited July 2016

@Aleksandar -I believe you have Gryllus assimilis - note the distinct redish head marking pattern that's clearly visible in your picture of the lone cricket eating some vegetable. That's a distinctive trait of the Gryllus, along with the darker abdomen.

Below are pictures of known Acheta domesticus and Gryllus assimilis

Acheta:

url

Gryllus:

GRYLLUS_ASSIMILIS_m

• Aleksandar, - 24.3% protein + 40.2% carbohydrate +:4.7% lipid (fat) + 16.4% fiber + 7.4% ash diet of "Harlan Teklad Rodent Diet 8604 M (version)" was used to rear G. assimilis in a 2008-2013 (16 generations) lab study. As of today Amazon selling the "M" version (33 pounds for US$40) if this might be economic for where you operate or want a diet composition to work from; Harlan company is now company called EnVigo.

A tip from lab study is to put the cricket water in dish full of round marbles. This gives them a place to stand on & they can't drown in the water. Light cycle was turned on at 06:00 for 14 hours light & off at 20:00 for 10 hours dark. Temperature for generations was 28 Celsius (+/- 2 degrees C.)

• @andrew after your description (reddish head marking pattern, darker abdomen) i would also say that it is gryllus

@gringojay in the beginning i used chicken food and food for cats. then my colleague prepared the food that i currently use. 20% protein, 4.6% lipid, 6% ash,.. 22 pounds cost me US$ 7,35. we made some experiments in which we compared the "new food" and the chicken food. after 50 days, average weight of the cricket fed with the "new food" was for 0.2 grams higher then the average weight of the cricket fed with chicken food. at the moment, colleague is trying to prepare food with greater proportion of protein. for the small crickets, instead of water i use fruit and vegetables (carrots and apple). after that i give them water in water container, but the problem is that i have to clean container every day. i will try out a tip with round marbles 20160610_161244 20160609_201454